The silk web hosting service allows people to create and share web sites written with many popular programming languages and frameworks.
Silk is the preferred web hosting option for most UVM affiliates, providing a flexible space to publish many types of web applications. Silk is a good home for usage ranging from dabbling with your first interactive web page, to providing a university-wide service, serving both static files and dynamic content in your choice of programming language and version.
- Web applications can be written in Node.js, Perl, PHP, Python, or Ruby.
- Command-line applications can additionally be written in Java or R.
- Some programming languages are available in a choice of release versions.
- Use a framework of your choice.
- Site owners can install additional modules for the programming language(s) you use.
- Each site has its own hostname, and people can have multiple sites.
- Sites needing databases can use the WebDB MySQL service.
If you would like a silk account, please contact Systems Architecture & Administration, who will set it up for you. The user manual then describes how you can log into your new site to publish content and change its settings.